Re: [pygame] [PYGAME] Noob Help.

Charles Christie wrote:
I recommend Eric3. I think it has a Windows port, anyway. I use it every day, and I find it much better than drpython.

On 4/13/07, *Kris Schnee* < kschnee@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kschnee@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    python@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:python@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Alright so when I run the "game.py" the console says error
    syntax then I
    > can't read the rest because the console window closes
    automatically.  I
    > have the slightest idea on whats wrong.

    I strongly recommend that you use an editor. Depending on exactly how
    you installed Python, you should have a built-in editor called IDLE,
    buried somewhere like C:\Python24\lib\idlelib. (Python really
    ought to
    make it more obvious.) If you use that you'll be able to get instant
    feedback that shows exactly where errors occurred, and even jump
    to the
    right line of code with Alt-G. Trying to use Python without an editor
    means it's hard to see what's going wrong, which is no way to work!

    Since Python is an interpreted language, running your code once you've
    written it requires no fanfare. In IDLE you just save and hit F5.
    So you
    can test the thing, curse at an error, fix it, and try again
    within seconds.

    Kris

Personally, I recommend Emacs. I'm pretty sure it has a windows port (I know it has a Mac one) and it "understands" python code, and so it will indent a little farther the line after something ending in a colon. Very useful. And when you are deleting indentations, it will tell you what the last thing with the amount of indentation you have at the moment was.

--Skizzaltix