Re: [pygame] PyGame Website Rewrite

On, Fri Apr 24, 2009, Rene Dudfield wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM, <mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>:

[...]
> >> All the old stuff needs to be written at some point... because we need to
> >> keep all the old urls around (including feeds).  Also it's easier for
> >> people
> >>

> > Is there a way to have some easy to manage URL rewriting/forwarding in
> > Django? That way we could let existing URLS resolve to the new stuff (e.g.
> > place the currently static html sites into the DB and link to them).
> >

> Almost all web toolkits have decent url schemes, and rewriters.  It can also
> be done at the apache, and wsgi levels too.  The current website has a
> pretty good system... where it uses a database of rewrite rules editable
> through the web in the management system... but we can easily use
> mod_rewrite or whatever we need.
>

> I don't think we have agreed on Django specifically yet.  At least pymike,
> and I have suggested using cherrypy.  Also I know Nicholas has made the last
> few websites he worked on with cherrypy.
>
> So we should decide this based on what the contributors to the website feel
> is best, and also the people who will maintain it.

I do not know anything about cherrypy, so here're some relevant
questions for both frameworks:

* How good is the integration of a wiki solution and maybe bug tracking
  system without implementing it ourselves?
* How good is the integration of other components, which might be
  necessary in the future?
* How much effort has to be put into it to add new features? Is it just
  about adding/enabling a component or writing a whole bunch of code?
* What is the key difference between cherrypy (denoted as HTTP
  framework) and Django (web framework)?

> It can be easy to take the existing database and just use that.  This is
> quite easy to do with things like sqlalchemy and the like.

Absolutely no, I'd say. Did you put a look at its contents recently? ;-)
It'd be better to go with a new, clean database (and structure) and
write a set of SQL scripts to migrate the necessary data instead of
taking over anything.

Regards
Marcus