Re: [pygame] PyGame Website Rewrite

On, Fri Apr 24, 2009, Rene Dudfield wrote:

[...]

> >  Also, is it possible to do this at google code instead?
> >>    http://code.google.com/p/pygame/
> >>

> > Sounds reasonable - google already has the whole functionality for the
> > project,
> > Julian currently hosts privately. It might be good to use google's wiki
> > there
> > and a seperate website SVN branch. Especially since the final system could
> > be
> > adopted by other community-driven projects.
> >

> Also lots of people already have google accounts on there, and it's not
> hosted on someones personal server.
>
> Keeping it separate from the main pygame svn makes sense, since it's
> probably going to be a separate group of people, and also it's fairly easy
> to allow access to it.

After discussing certain things with Julian, something like this might
make the most sense:

SVN hosting on google.

Trac (which I'd prefer over google's homebrewn software) on dev.pygame.org.

Why that? First of all, one of the website requirements is to have a bug
tracker and wiki integrated instead of having anything hosted on
different domains as it is at the moment.

dev.pygame.org could act as central platform for pygame-related
development. Users can keep track of pygame projects, which are in a
planning and early development state and the trac system running there
can act as routing station to the different SVN repositories hosted
elsewhere (google, pygame, ...).

In the long term, this also allows us to have a development wiki and bug
tracking already around and the only thing left to do would be to
integrate them seamlessly into the final pygame.org website.

For the current time, we could redirect dev.pygame.org to Julian's
webserver, then, once trac is up and running on pygame.org (which should
be relatively easy to be realised), let it point to the local trac. That
way we have no dead URL mess and people do not need to visit various
sites (and create different accounts) just to file bugs for (either)
pygame project.

We also do not have the data scattered ony google's wiki, pygame.org and
wherever else.

Regards
Marcus