Re: [pygame] Picking monitor...

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:10:30AM -0700, Gene Buckle wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, Brian Fisher wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Gene Buckle <geneb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>The main issue is that the avionics computer will have more than a couple
> >>of these USB video adapters.  Is it possible to discover the current
> >>window
> >>position from within pygame?  That would allow me to manually position the
> >>window and then "save" the current position as the start position.
> >>
> >>Hey Gene,
> >  stuff like that is always possible - and ctypes is usually the best way
> >to do little hack stuff like this in python.
> >
> >For getting the window pos, the function "pygame.display_get_info" gives
> >you
> >a dictionary with "window" set the HWND of your window, and the OS function
> >"GetWindowRect" can be called on that HWND to get the window position/size
> >

> Thanks for that Brian!  I found out I had another problem on Friday.  It
> seems that OpenGL isn't working in a window on my auxillary adapters.  The
> scene is frozen and just smears as I move the window around.  I think I'm
> pretty much SOL until the 1.3 version of SDL comes out.  My only other
> choice is DirectX and I really don't want to have to go there if I don't
> have to.
>
> Thanks!

If these auxillary adapters are anything like the USB video adapters I
have used myself, they just flat out don't support 3D acceleration of
any kind. SDL 1.3 and DirectX will not help. They will have the same
problem as OpenGL does.

I am going to guess that you will have to do software rendering if you
want any kind of 3D. (And software rendering at good speeds only works
at /very/ low resolutions)

---
James