Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On 17 December 2016 at 20:40, Alex Z. <derzeiss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
More important: I think it would be cool to do a real brainstorming about creative ideas together, as everyone has an own vision and arguments for how the site should be and mail is such a slow medium.
Maybe we can do a Skype call, Google hangout or whatever soon so as many people as possible really get involved.
However we would need a moderator to structure the call and protocol the answers. I would suggest Thomas, as he has the most experience with pygames history and maintaining its resources.

I should make it clear that I have very little experience with maintaining Pygame. I turned up earlier this year to pester people into making a release. But I'm happy to co-ordinate getting this work off the ground. :-)

I have my reservations about a video chat: it's hard to include everyone, especially as we're spread across widely spaced time zones. Although email is slower, the asynchronous communications give everyone a chance to weigh in. But if people agree that a video chat would be helpful, I'll try to arrange that.

So far, I think the proposals for the static information part of the site are Nikola (a static site generator oriented around blogs) and Sphinx (oriented around docs). Both are written in Python. Does anyone want to make the case for any other system?

Summarising ideas on the game feed part:
- Maybe it could also be static, so you make a pull request to submit a game
- Others said please don't do that, because it's too difficult for game developers
  - [I agree with both groups. I wonder if we could make a web form which turns the input into a git commit plus pull request...]
- Alternatively, we could populate it with data from other sources; either mechanisms for software generally (PyPI, Openhub), or specific to games (Steam, itch.io, gamejolt)
  - [My thoughts: the general sources don't seem a great fit; it's rare to upload screenshots to these, and even if developers did, we would have to scrape them from free text. Pulling from game stores would mean games have to clear a much higher bar of quality and polish than many of the current entries on the feed. That is up for discussion, but I like the current amateur-friendly feel of the feed. If you just want polished games to play, it wouldn't matter that they're in Python]

Thomas