Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On 22 December 2016 at 16:13, Charles Cossé <ccosse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I suspect that there are many people, me included, who are familiar with parts of the plan you have described, but not all.  For example, knowing how to setup GitHub pages, but never having done the daily feed part, or not completely clear about static "generation".   So this could become a learning experience for a lot of people, if only just as observers.  What do you think about taking the extra trouble to make the effort somewhat of a class on how to do all these things?

I'm definitely on board with it being a learning experience for people, though I'd like those people to be more participants than observers! I do not have the time to build this site myself, so I'm relying on the good people of this mailing list to make it happen, and trying to limit myself to coordinating things to make it possible. So if you know anything at all about HTML or Github pages, and you're willing to learn, you're definitely welcome.

To expand on what I mean by 'static site generators': a static website is a set of HTML files, which don't need to run any code on the server. But editing HTML by hand when you want to change something is a pain. So a static site generator is a tool which combines HTML templates with content in a simpler markup language like markdown or restructuredtext, to generate the HTML pages. A maintainer builds the site and uploads the new pages, whereas a dynamic web application like Wordpress generates the HTML on the server. There are loads of different SSGs (it's quite easy to make a simple one), but Nikola & Pelican are two popular Python ones.