[pygame] Sound related questions

Hi,

I think I know the answer to most of these questions already, but just to confirm...

I'd like to use MOD format music in my little game project, but I note that despite SDL mixer being based on MikMod, I would only have volume controls, and start, stop controls? Can I not say "play from this pattern onward" or have any more fine grain control over my mod playing?

I was hoping for a Mixer.event type affair; "Ooo, pattern finished", "Song repeating" etc. so I could use one mod with all the feedback ditties, main level tunes, bonus stuff etc. setup from different pattern offsets (spot my Amiga roots?) which I could jump to based on events in my game. It's a bit nasty to have to split these tunes out into individual MODS, especially if they use the same samples...

Mp3 seems to have more controls, skipping several seconds from a stream, or moving backwards etc. but 9-10 mpeg files will mean the sound dir would be bigger than the entire game! I'm not really happy with that, and it seems pointless converting MODS to mp3 just for this...

So, am I missing anything obvious here? Is there much I can do in my game to change this? (Bar some fancy C solution, as I'm a thickie...)

Call me old fashioned... (Hey, I am making a retro game..!)

Cheers...