Re: [pygame] Pygame and PyOpenGL

On Feb 14, 2005, at 18:19, Kris Schnee wrote:

Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> My OpenGLContext engine can do all of that quite readily (screenshots,
> including lit and textured worlds, are here):

Matthias Baas wrote:
I know I'm biased, but you might also consider cgkit (http://cgkit.sourceforge.net). The second version can also be used to...
But as Mike already said, the requirements you mentioned here are rather minimal and any 3D toolkit will probably be able to meet them.

Thanks, both of you. I downloaded PyOpenGL and the NEHE tutorials and found those helpful -- got them working easily. For now, though, I think PyOpenGL by itself is enough, and I don't have to install these hrair extra modules and deal with their licenses and dependencies. The basic module is simple and powerful. I already figured out how to control the camera, or more accurately pan the world past me.

I found two bugs in the NEHE tutorials. One is that the window doesn't close when the program shuts down; this is solved by adding "pygame.display.close()" after the main loop. But the window also doesn't let the screen update behind it when moved; ie. moving the window leaves behind a smear of unupdated screen. And is there a true fullscreen mode? (Changing the resolution to 1024x768 creates a topless window but still leaves Windows' bottom bar.)

What about building Windows EXEs from a project using Pygame and PyOpenGL? When I tried making one from a version of a NEHE tutorial, it worked fine until I ran the EXE. Then:

...File "OpenGL\__init__.pyc", line 14, in __set_attributes
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\Python\dist\library.zip\\OpenGL\\version'

I also notice that library.zip includes a nearly-empty subdirectory labeled 'ogre,' though I'm not using it.

PyOpenGL has a stupid "feature" that is incompatible with zip packaging. Simply patch the __init__.py such that it doesn't open that dumb version file and your problems with it will go away.

-bob