Re: [pygame] Game demo for review

Hello,
   The game is pretty fun--I played the new version.  The mouse controls didn't work, so I used the keyboard ones.  I agree that getting all the controls under one hand would be cool, and also some way to put the ship in reverse.
   Regarding the download size:  I can't help but point out that 9.57 MB is being taken up by a raw uncompressed WAV file for a 1-minute long piece of music in the sounds file.  Converting that to level-3 ogg in audacity makes it only 760 KB, with no noticeable drop in quality for me, and I'm listening on studio monitors.  It's a nice track by the way, who made it?
   -David

On 1/12/06, Brian Fisher <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/12/06, Matt <revcompgeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it possible to zip the installer?
> WinAce is great for this kind of thing!
> --

In my experience Inno Setup compression is very very good (bzip or
something like that?) and zipping stuff after that is marginal at best
and sometimes worse. In fact sometimes doing just one lossless
compression at the very end (i.e. inno setup) can get slightly better
results than compressing stuff multiple times down the chain ( i.e.
png's inside of zips inside of archives inside of an installer can
often be very slightly bigger than uncompressed tga's in your
installer - probably because the installer's compression has the
benefit of finding and exploiting similarites between files that the
other compressions have obscured)

The problem is that there's a limit to how much lossless compression
you can do, really the only practical way to get an install package
even smaller is by using great lossy compression on your original
assets, like jpg and ogg.

--
David Tweet