Re: [pygame] Growing Pygame

From: "Peter Shinners" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 12:50 +0800, Simon Wittber wrote:
Owell, it seems people generally think a pygame-contrib module is not
such a good idea.

Ahwell, I was kind of for it if it was done as the "static" not shipped with pygame style of libraries. Something with regular snapshots and documentation on the Pygame site.

Getting PCR running again might be a good substitute, but I don't think
it's quite the same thing.

Yes, I agree, it is not the same thing. Just to respond to the earlier e-mail, I have no problems writing code like this myself. (So the response to the message in question is `yes'.) It is just inconvenient. Everyone knows what I am referring to; specific sprite routines, animation classes, a buffered scrolling background class, parallax scrolling, whatever. A customizable scrollable text box. A routine which returns rendered text with certain colours, styles, etc. I always end up writing and rewriting these things.

It would simply be a good idea to import pygame-contrib, and then use some `standard' routines for it.

Of course it wouldn't be static, and (probably) wouldn't be shipped with the pygame binaries...I don't even see why it wouldn't be a source download. It really is just a more convenient, better developed, more often used code repository.

But if it's not happenning (I personally have seen far from the declaration of distaste that Simon mentioned) and there is not much support then that's fine; we can all just keep rewriting routines that accomplish essentially the same thing, and keep our libraries of generic code to ourselves.

Glen