Glen Wheeler <adsl5lcq@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: "Peter Shinners"
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 12:50 +0800, Simon Wittber wrote:
>> Owell, it seems people generally think a pygame-contrib module is not
>> such a good idea.
>
> Ahwell, I was kind of for it if it was done as the "static" not shipped
> with pygame style of libraries. Something with regular snapshots and
> documentation on the Pygame site.
>
> Getting PCR running again might be a good substitute, but I don't think
> it's quite the same thing.

Yes, I agree, it is not the same thing. Just to respond to the earlier
e-mail, I have no problems writing code like this myself. (So the response
to the message in question is `yes'.) It is just inconvenient. Everyone
knows what I am referring to; specific sprite routines, animation classes, a
buffered scrolling background class, parallax scrolling, whatever. A
customizable scrollable text box. A routine which returns rendered text
with certain colours, styles, etc. I always end up writing and rewriting
these things.

It would simply be a good idea to import pygame-contrib, and then use some
`standard' routines for it.

Of course it wouldn't be static, and (probably) wouldn't be shipped with
the pygame binaries...I don't even see why it wouldn't be a source download.
It really is just a more convenient, better developed, more often used code
repository.

But if it's not happenning (I personally have seen far from the
declaration of distaste that Simon mentioned) and there is not much support
then that's fine; we can all just keep rewriting routines that accomplish
essentially the same thing, and keep our libraries of generic code to
ourselves.

Glen