Re: [pygame] Using PyOpenGL for 2D graphics

On Mon, July 9, 2007 7:47 am, Patrick Mullen wrote:
> I use python-ogre, which is a more recent much better version of pyogre
> by a different team.  Cegui works with it and is pretty nice, although
> feels like overkill for most things.  I have never really looked at
> sprites or any kind of 2d stuff with it though, our game is completely 3d.
> As a robust 3d
> rendering engine, nothing else I know of comes close, at least out of
> things usable from python.  It surely has a learning curve though, and its
> quite big (which can be a positive and a negative).

Thanks. CEGUI does look nice (and the X-Com remake advertised on its site
looks promising). I'm also amused that the Python-Ogre site still carries
a code snippet I did on "a crude way to input text" from when people were
still trying to get CEGUI to work in PyOgre. Anyway, the new Python-Ogre
seems worth looking into. One of the tutorials says you can use it with
Pygame in a way that creates the screen with the familiar line:
"self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode((width,height))". Does that mean I
can draw whatever I want on top of the Ogre window, with normal Pygame
blitting functions, or are we still in OpenGL land?

Looks like it does terrain but the "paging" function that would allow a
really big terrain is either not-yet-implemented or available through a
plugin.