Re: [pygame] pygame-1.1 source available

Francis Irving writes:
 > Well, my theory was that it is better to depend on it than not to.
 > It could just suggest or recommend it, but that seems a pain to me.
 >
 > I mean, if you install a game that uses surf array, it is a bit
 > annoying if it has to explicitly depend on anything other than
 > pygame.

This is tricky; it's an inevitable result of having a modular library
with optional sections.  With my rpms, I considered doing a main
pygame rpm, and one additional rpm for each optional module. As of
right now (with the rpm python 2.0 - 2.1 split), that would mean I'd
be making ten binary rpms for each release :)

 > I think I want all the examples to run without having to do
 > anything other than "apt-get install pygame".  Does Debian policy
 > say anything about this kind of issue?

This is my policy too; I only made the rpm packages assume the
existance of numeric once an example program was included that
depended on it.  My feeling is that anyone who doesn't like it can
grab the source package.  In general, I'm unhappy with this sort of
compromise.

 > You'll hate me when I make it depend on python2-opengl! (Or
 > python-opengl, after the reorganisation that Debian unstable
 > Python packages are about to go to, to have a 2.x version as
 > the standard).

Ugh. I hadn't thought of that. Any feedback from rpm users on this
policy would be appreciated...

--
David Clark
silenus@telus.net