Re: [pygame] Collaborative game in 8 weeks.

Pete Shinners wrote:

Rene Dudfield wrote:

Would anyone be interested in making an open source, free game as a group?

To make it interesting, and to be sure that it will be finished(good or bad), I propose it be completed within two months. With set time periods to have certain parts done.

So we start with throwing some ideas around for a game, then make a prototype. We try and get game play finished early, then spend the rest of the time tweaking, and polishing it.

Anyone interested? Who wants to propose some game ideas?

sounds really fun, here's my thoughts on it.

you really are going to want a 'single person' at the head of the project. "design by comitee" will end up as a mess, especially trying to keep the quick development pace. this doesn't mean one person comes up with all the ideas, but all decisions need a "final vote" that can be made pretty quick.
I nominate yourself as 'Master snake handler' ;) I nominate myself as one of the 'snake handlers porters'. Basically I'll help out with any of the boring administrative tasks. oh and carry around your snakes.

i think the theme should be roughly done in advance. then skewed a bit once you see who can commit and what the group's strengths are. your first three weeks on the schedule will probably be done by a smaller 1 or 2 person team. definitely getting review/input from other people who want to be involved, but actually put together and edited by less. in the meantime there can definitely be people doing 'concept art' and 'concept code' that will flesh out ideas, but might not be used.
Good ideas. Input from everyone, and edited by a couple of people would probably work best.

the next 2 weeks will be where the bulk of the game gets done. you'll definitely want some "checkin rules" in place, and game parts will be moving around often. this is where the game will need a 'dictator'. someone who has to make the decision to reject bad ideas/code, decide what is good enough, and decide what to do next.

Sounds good.

once the working game is fairly assembled you'll be in good shape. at that point the hard decision will be what the priorities are. with only a few more weeks, there will probably be original design ideas that need to be dropped or simplified. time to make a massive "todo list" and let people go to work on it. somoene needs to maintain the list, so people can see who is doing what, and find things they can help with themselves. if the game is 'starting to suck' here, the leader needs to make the decisions as to why, and hold the game to an 8 week schedule. if it looks like we really won't make it, it is up to the leader to trim trim trim.
A todo list would be useful. As well as calls for help. Ie 'arg I need someone to make me a green blob monster!' Or 'blargle, there's a weird bug in this jump code. Help quick!' ;)

the last week, #8 will probably be more of the same. i'd bring in some beta testers at this point and get some outside input. this will likely be more of the same, attacking the "todo list". someone may want to put a little web page together. version 1.0.

btw, i'm in!
Excellent!

Jim Scott wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, but I think you should pick a theme and then see who
wants to participate. It'll save you a week, make sure that you are interested,
and help to make sure that people who commit time in the beginning don't lose
interest before the end of the project.

How about we brain storm some theme ideas for the game for another day or so, then vote on those?

So keep up the brain storming!