Re: [pygame] MMX Transform for Win32

The pygame.transform.smoothscale.__doc__ gives the usage information. It scales an image smoothly (and quickly, with the MMX code) using a bilinear filter for upsampling and a novel area-based filter for downscaling which minimizes moire patterns on highly downscaled images. Each axis can be scaled independently (ie, there's no requirement to keep the same aspect ratio). My goals in writing this routine were to achieve high image quality and high speed.

Regarding your previous message, I presume you are referring to transforming a rectangular pixel map into an arbitrary quadrilateral? It would be easy enough to write a C function to do this but it would be slow. Writing accelerated (MMX) code for this type of routine would be time-consuming, and it wouldn't achieve the same level of speedup that I got with the smoothscale function.

Richard

Ian Mallett wrote:
Thanks.  How can one use this with Python?