Re: [pygame] Summer of Code Ideas

On Friday 21 March 2008 22:30:16 René Dudfield wrote:
> Cool.  That sounds good Michael.
>
> Please let me know of any pygame related proposals, and I'll try and help
> out with them.

Will do - and thanks !

> We should put links from the four-five different mentoring organisations
> that might do pygame related projects onto the pygame GSOC page.

Sounds like a plan - I'd personally suggest that anyone putting forward
pygame related proposals discuss their project with a few of those orgs
as well. It'll probably give a different focus depending on where it ends up,
but it will increase the chances of someone having sufficient slots :)

> I've added the bbc research links on the pygame page, and other orgs here:
> http://www.pygame.org/wiki/gsoc2008ideas
>
> For the right projects I could mentor too.  I'll also try and help find
> suitable pygame or SDL mentors you need extras?

That'd be great - one of the deciding factors on the number of slots an org
gets appears to be the number of mentors available to mentor students - which
makes sense. Another deciding factor (naturally) appears to be number of
students applying, which is probably also based on number of mentors
available.

As far as I'm concerned, pygame is a really useful technology and if we
can get enough mentors, students and slots it'd be nice to help pygame
this way :-)

(In case anyone's wondering, we normally waive the mentor payments
because it just gets too complicated -- our primary aim is to help people
get started with open source development really :-)

Michael.