Re: [pygame] vista testing...

Audio defaults to dsound (DirectX). The other available Windows setting for SDL_AUDIODRIVER is waveout *. What playmus tells us is streaming audio (pygame.mixer.music) is working for SDL. I have another program, playwave, that tests channels (pygame.mixer). I have uploaded it to my site where the dependencies are:

http://www3.telus.net/len_l/pygame.htm

md5sum
856cd257346a8700d0aa2e1792130b21 *playwave.zip

It may be useful to compare with playmus. It works the same way. Thanks for the testing.

Lenard

* ftp://ptah.lnf.kth.se/pub/misc/sdl-env-vars gives a listing of environment variables recognized by SDL.

Bo Jangeborg wrote:

playmus plays ok here

Opened audio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo (LE), 3072 bytes audio buffer
Playing Intro_Theme.ogg

Does it default to dsound ? I tried to set the computer enviroment variable
to  SDL_AUDIODRIVER dsound. Is there another place were I should set it ?

Lenard Lindstrom skrev:
Hi Bo,

SDL 1.2 uses DirectX 5. This may not be properly supported on Vista. I am surprised SDL audio defaults to it rather than waveout. Anyway, to check if it is a Pygame problem it would be useful if you could test SDL directly. I understand you have downloaded the prebuilts from www3.telus.net/len_l. If so then you will find in prebuilt\lib the playmus program. Everything needed by playmus.exe is in the directory except msvcr71.dll, which can be copied to prebuilt\lib from Python's root directory.

playmus is a console program. It writes output to files stdout.txt and stderr.txt rather than the screen. To list command line options just run playmus without any options and look in stderr.txt. The settings it uses when playing a music file are written to stdout.txt. Here is a list of relevant options:

playmus [-r rate] [-b bytes] <music-file>
 -r  playback rate: eg. 44100 or 22050
 -b buffer size: eg 4096 - the default

It would be useful to try playing some files with 44100 to see how they sound. If the sound is scratchy then try it with SDL_AUDIODRIVER set to waveout.

Thanks,

Lenard