Re: [pygame] Optimization, double buffered pygames

Syver Enstad wrote:
> If I disable the blitting for each frame to the stats panel subsurface
> I get about 37 fps with DOUBLEBUF and HWSURFACE (which is the same
> frame rate as when running with a software surface and no doublebuf),
> Running without the status panel subsurface blitting with just SWSURFACE gives a
> modest speedup from 37 fps to 41 fps. Interesting!?

hmm, i am suspecting this might be a problem of mixing pygame
subsurfaces and hardware surfaces. internally sdl might end up using
software blits even on a hardware subsurface...

although i am struck with an idea to making this work. i'll see if i
can add some logic to pygame to allow hardware blits to
"passthrough" to the original surface, this should still allow all
the speed of the hardware blitting.

if it works, we'll see it in the coming releases for pygame :]