[pygame] pygame parachute Error

I'm running python 2.3.x at work and 2.2 on windows and my linux box at
home. I did a bit of work on my app at work and it worked fine till i
brought it home and got a pygame parachute Error. It happened while
blitting text on to a image which is just a box.

I'm doing a scrolling list so each item gets blitting on to a transparent
box which then gets blitted to the screen. Now the box loads find but
errors out when you have your mouse over an item, which will change the
color of that item. Here is some code chunks.

# creating the box
self.image = pygame.Surface((self.imWidth,self.imHeight))
self.image.fill((175,245,12))
#self.image.set_alpha(100)
self.image.set_colorkey((175,245,12), RLEACCEL)
self.background = self.image.convert_alpha()
self.rect = self.image.get_rect()

# blitting it on the the box image
destpos = [self.a1.rect[2] + 10, moveY]
self.image.blit(wid.image, destpos)

Now thats just a sample. When I do that it errors out, but if I comment out

self.image.set_colorkey((175,245,12), RLEACCEL)

the code works just like expected.. well all but there's a pink box when
its not supposed to show. So then I took out RLEACCEL and it worked just
fine also. I know your not supposed to use RLEACCEL not quick changing
images but I was just changing the color of the text once.

So this seems to be a bug with python 2.2 with some kind of odd memory
leak or something.

Mike