Re: [pygame] Introduction + call to join project for creating game frameworks

Ian Mallett wrote:
On 10/3/07, *Andre Roberge* <andre.roberge@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:andre.roberge@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I can't pretend to speak for Clare... but I think the idea is to
    give the students a sense of accomplishment within a short time
    frame.  Writing a game from scratch can be a daunting proposition
    - something near impossible to have a bunch of budding programmers
do in a short time.

I remember starting Pygame like that :-)

    However, having students start with a game skeleton, and letting
    them use their creativity to "fill in the blank" could result in
    something both doable in a reasonable time and fun to do.

I think Pygame is simple enough that if Clare is familiar with it, she could easily teach them. However, the benefits of a game shell are numerous. I don't know of such a thing though--game skeletons tend to be specific to the game and not particularly adaptable to various genres.
I think that's why Clare was asking for multiple frameworks to cover each genre.
My brother would like to learn programming in a similar way, though, if possible... Is there one? I'm interested as well.
Sure, but to sufficiently abstract a game framework to where it can be used for multiple genres complicates it to the point where learning its nuances may be more time-consuming than just starting from scratch, I think. But I'm sure there's a brilliant programmer out there somewhere who could make it work and have it make sense.

I think tutorials that start with very rigid frameworks of only a certain genre and then expand until you're hand-coding every facet of the game would be a fantastic way to learn game development. Learn the interesting part, and then learn how to mold the parts that take longer to reflect results quickly to what you need, since you already know how the upper level of the framework works. An ogre-like layer-by-layer approach. (Shrek reference, not the OGRE software)

    As a teacher at heart, I fully support Clare's idea and wish I
could help in a timely fashion.

As do I.
I think I have enough time to be of at least a little bit of help, but Clare never replied to me. Not sure why that is. Perhaps my message was lost somewhere along the way. (I replied off-list, which is why none of you got the message :) )

André

Ian
-Luke