Re: [pygame] Games for blind players

> games for blind people

This is such an interesting discussion.

What about a game of concentration, where each keyboard key has a different sound, and you have to find the other key with the same sound? Any key that's already been paired will then be silent or give some white noise sound.

The sounds don't have to be simple tones, they could snippets of music, speech, nature sounds, etc.

A variation could be that there's a list of descriptions of the sounds, and the object is to match the sound to its description. So you're not matching pairs of identical sounds, but matching the sound to its description.

Could be called "Chime In".

Another thought for a different type of game I keep having is that some sort of vibration speaker under a keyboard, which gives different feedback depending on which key they press. So the keyboard isn't a text input device anymore, but more of a controller. So the user presses multiple keys, which makes different sounds, and the keyboard vibrates (from the vibration speaker) to show the action on the screen. So maybe the game is like Marble Madness, where they're trying to balance some object. There could be two (or more) vibration speakers, mounted around the keyboard, to indicate when the "marble" is falling off, and the user moves their hands on the keyboard to balance the "marble".

Let me know if you can't find what I mean by a "vibration speaker". Ages ago a friend built a Space Invaders game that used one to make a tactile "thud", and I'm sure I could get a link from him.

And personally I love the idea of recreating old classics for blind people. Pong, Space Invaders, etc, all played through tactile or aural interfaces.