Re: [pygame] 3D SHMUP

Ian Mallett wrote:
On 9/16/07, *Lenard Lindstrom* <len-l@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:len-l@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    NumPy is not the same as Numeric. As long as you are using a 32 bit
    machine you can compile Numeric for Python 2.5.

I thought so. I've heard things about development on Numeric had stopped, and was therefore dead?

The whole Numeric/numarray/NumPy screwup makes my brain explode. I keep getting it all mixed up and I expect I'm not the only one.

I think this is how it goes (I might be wrong on some of this):

They are all, as far as I can see almost the same thing, with slight changes, the main result of which, is to break stuff.

#  numarray has been pretty-much dropped.

# Numeric was the original, which was upgraded to numarray, but then the old Numeric was re-upgraded to be a better version and released as Numeric again. There are moves to have this dropped.

# NumPy was (I think) yet another rewrite of Numeric. It upset a lot of people by having some of the documentation released non-free, but there is considerable pressure to make this the main version. Nowadays there is quite a bit of free documentation for NumPy available.
  http://www.scipy.org/Documentation
  http://www.scipy.org/doc/numpy_api_docs/numpy.html
  http://docs.neuroinf.de/api/numpy/
  http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List_With_Doc
  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/

The main problem is that even if NumPy is used forever more it doesn't help all the old programs out there that used numeric. This problem will become less annoying given the passage of time. My solution has been to install both Numeric and NumPy. For those using Python 2.5 René Dudfield has made a precompiled version available:
http://rene.f0o.com/~rene/stuff/Numeric-24.2.win32-py2.5.exe

For all else go to the Sourceforge pages:

Hope this helps. If I got any of this wrong can someone correct me please? I'm still pretty confused about the whole thing, and part of my motivation for writing this was to help straighten it out in my own mind.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?