Re: [pygame] pygame parachute and inconsistent interned sting state - but only on Slackware 13.0 32 bit

On Thursday 10 September 2009, René Dudfield wrote:

> to debug it, people would need some code to try and reproduce it.

René, sorry, I'm not really a C hacker so I'm not quite sure what you'd want.
Sample code could be tricky.  The machine where I developed the code runs it
without issue.  It only falls over when installed on my media PC running
Slackware 13.0 32 bit, and a virtualbox machine running the same OS.  64 bit
slack and 12.2 32 bit slack is fine.  For that reason I don't know what the
problematic line of code is that causes the error.

> Do example programs work?
> eg.
> python -m pygame.examples.chimp

chimp OK
aliens OK
arraydemo OK
blend_fill OK
blit_blends OK
camera - no camera!
chimp OK
cursors - bit confused by that one, but no crash
eventlist OK
fastevents OK
fonty ABORTED
glcube OK
headless_no_window - not sure, think it wants and image
liquid OK
mask - no images available to test
midi - don't think I have midi running on test virtual machine
moveit OK
movieplayer - no movies on virtual machine
oldalien OK
overlay - don't understand demo
pixelarray OK
scaletest - no images to scale
scrap_clipboard - don't understand example
scroll OK
sound - example did not complain, but I have not got sound on virtual machine
sound_array_demos - ditto
stars OK
testsprite OK
vgrade - This example requires Numeric and the pygame surfarray module

No failures like the one I am seeing.  Happy to re-run the tests that I did
not manage to do in the quick run through above.

> Have you run it with gdb?  Is there a stack trace?
> $ gdb python
> (gdb) run main.py
> (gdb) where

Here we go.  Had to modify script slightly to stop it going fullscreen and
locking me out, but that makes no difference to the crash I beleive.  Not sure
if this helps.

(gdb) run pslide.py
Starting program: /usr/bin/python pslide.py
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
[New Thread 0xb7c596c0 (LWP 3119)]
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
housekeeping
select
__main__
[New Thread 0xb7303b90 (LWP 3120)]
[New Thread 0xb6ac5b90 (LWP 3121)]
Output:  . ['pslide-old2.pyc', 'pslide-old.py', 'pvideo.pyc', 'audio.pyc',
'paudio.
py', '__init__.py', 'pslide.py', 'audio.py', 'pslide-old2.py',
'housekeeping.pyc',
'pslide-old.pyc', 'pslide.pyc', 'main.py', 'select.pyc', '__init__.pyc',
'paudio.py
c', 'housekeeping.py', 'select.py', 'pvideo.py', 'main.pyc']
Fatal Python error: Inconsistent interned string state.

[Switching to Thread 0xb7c596c0 (LWP 3119)]
0xb7c86456 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

--
Peter Chant
http://www.petezilla.co.uk