Re: [school-discuss] grade book project and OH the choices!

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mr Baldwin wrote:

> I already have Corel Linux from Cheap Bytes and Blue Linux on order and
a friend offering his Red Hat distro on cd....Now I hear about this
ElxLinux which looks pretty good...You folks are offering me too many
choices.  ;} I'm easily confused!!!
> I suppose if I am serious about learning about programming I should stay
away from the easy path (like Elx) huh?  Help me out here...

The choices are part of what's great about it. I started with Red Hat and
have stuck with it, just because it works.

As for the easy path, don't discount it altogether. It's nice to have
'easy' stuff to fall back on. I've learned a lot in the past year, and
prefer to do things from the command line, but I still tend to use
Linuxconf (friendly Red Hat GUI administration utility) to fool with
Sendmail. Your programming environment has more to do with you than the
distro, really. What I love is the freedom you have in customizing that
environment. You'll discover what you like as you go along, trying another
desktop for a day, experimenting with virtual desktops, customizing the
panel... You can really make it feel comfortable, which is one of the
biggest advantages it has (in my book) over Windows, which just doesn't
feel comfortable, period.

You'll get the hang of it. :)

Matt

--
http://www.paperlove.org/  :..: [being redesigned] :..:  matt@paperlove.org
Linux/Open Source Advocate:..:Consultant:..:Designer:..:Webmaster:..:Artist