Re: EDUML (Dr. Geo)

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 09:21:50PM +0800, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> This look really interesting. Dr Geo may be turn on a training tool for
> geometry. I never thing about this.
>
> Also from XML output it may be possible to render some readable math
> text of the figure.
> I guess there is parser who can help you given a DTD. I'm a right ?

Here are my thoughts on DTDs:

1. A formally defined DTD is an optional aspect of XML.

2. When they are created, their main function is to:

2a. "bozo-proof" data entry: which means to make sure that whoever does
manual editing or data entry on an XML file, sticks to the rules concerning
what can be entered where and with which relationships

2b. make sure that the output of one program is clean EDUML
before being used as the input of another EDUML compliant program

3. XML parsers come in two varieties;

3a. most currently check for well-formed XML data files (whether the tags are
matched and generally follow the XML specs)

3b. a few check for validity; whether the tags conform to the DTD (which is
the kind of parser needed to fulfill the role of points 2a and 2b)

> I will definitively use an xml format.
> When I will have finish the GTK port I will start desinging a DTD for Dr
> Geo

Great!

The first step, I think, is to propose (expose) a list of elements needed for
Dr. Geo data and incorporate/merge/harmonize that into/with EDUML

Bruno