Re: [seul-edu] Re: ISO project--a different approach

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:16:07PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> If it's already packaged for Debian and included in Debian, I don't see
> any reason for us to put those DEBs on our ISO.  Not doing so would
> allow us more room for things that _aren't_ included.  But if you think
> it would be a good idea to have them on our ISO for completeness's sake,
> we'll certainly consider it.

Well, there are going to be a few problems because of differing opinions
on what is "free".  In its current state, I don't think Openoffice can be
included, for example.

> I think once we've settled on our software list submitting RFPs to
> Debian for all of them is definitely the way to go.  It would save us
> work too, if Debian makes DEBs of the majority of our apps!

I think that's doable.  In a separate post I have drawn up a table based on
the list of apps that have passed phase 2 and are now entering phase 3.  I'd
like to see my table integrated into the SEUL/edu app index.

> >In summary, the CD could contain:
> >
> >- tarballs for all software
> >- RPMs for all software
> >- DEBs for all software:
> > - official DEBs where possible
> > - unofficial DEBs for:
> >   - contrib/non-free
> >   - main, but no DEB available yet
> >
> >Naturally, if you include contrib/non-free software, it is up to you as the
> >CD "vendor" to ensure you are not in violation of the licenses of each
> >piece
> >of included software by including it on the CD.
> >

> I think this is a good design for the ISO, although I'm not sure if we
> need to include official DEBs that are already part of Debian.  What's
> your feeling on that, Ben, Raphael, and other Debian folks here?

Well, there's an appeal to having everything self-contained (especially for
low-bandwidth users).  It really could go either way.  Let's see how big the
whole thing is for starters.

Ben