Re: SEUL: Text Editor neded

Jeffrey wrote:

> The only bad thing about edit is that if the mouse isn't working for
> some
> reason then many people don't know to use the alt key. The display

That can be "fixed" by having a display at the bottom or top of the
screen
 starting.
"ALT to access menu, Arrow keys to navigate menu, enter to run command"
The wording may need polishing ( I'm no linguist ) but it needs not be
any longer than that.

> in ae and pico are a little more obvious and my mother seems to have
> had less problem with pico then she does now with IE for her email.
> I'm sure she could figure out any of these easy to use editors we are
> discussing.

Beautiful test case : give her a command prompt and a 2 page text file
and
tell her to type 'edit foo.txt' and then perform some simple editing
task
in the document ( do not say how it's done ) Like correcting spelling
and
grammar, or indenting paragraphs.  ( no more than 2 pages so all can be
done
manually )

> Another thing I've seen is that many people don't know that ^ means ctrl
> which I have heard called the "central key".
> My concern right now is that the key bindings displayed in ae's menu
> will not
> be the same for all terminals.
>
> Someone mentioned a bug in ae earlier. Is it fixable?
>
> I tell people to use edit in dos all the time while doing telephone
> tech support. Truth is notepad is just edit in a window. They are both
> easy
> to use because they are both very similar.

Thank you.  It seams that doing this is the only way for a techy to
really appreciate a text editor's ease of use.