Re: SEUL: Task assignments

> Prefect!!!  Though the "Dummies" series may be the wrong audience at first.
> If you think about it, how many products debuted in a "Dummies" book?

Yeah, I just mentioned that one as it's the first thing I thought of.

 None
> that I know of.  In reality, even though we're aiming for the average "home
> user", we probably don't want the stereotypical home user (the kind that buys
> the "Dummies" books) right off.  These are the people who have a computer
> because their kids' educational software runs on it, not because they want to
> get work done.  Sure, they buy the book so they can learn, or somesuch reason,
> but in reality "they" for the most part are the truly computer-illiterate.
> Not something to release a 1.0 to, IMO.

Right.  We want a good installation book that doesn't bore the user,
just tells him "Here's how to do this...1, 2, 3..." with maybe a cartoon
here or there if we can find an appropriate one.

> If you think about it, though, a book/CD distrib would be an excelent way to
> get the "product" into the hands of the "target audience", especially if the
> book is marketted as strong alternative to Windows Everywhere.  And

Yep.  If we're serious about making Linux an alternative to M$, we need
to make sure that a large percentage of potential M$ customers find us
and are educated about how Linux can be better for them.

> As far as earning money for the project, that'd be great, but we have to be
> *really* careful about what happens to it...  Non-profit status is the least
> of our concerns, not to mention where the heck to file for whatever-it-is we
> need.

I should be clear what I mean when talking about "money for the
project".  I do not expect to make a profit on this, and no one else
here should either.  Linux is a free operating system and it should
remain that way.  However, we will need to offer a limited amount of
tech support and we'll need to possibly buy hardware to manage this
thing, possible legal costs, etc.  A bit of an income from something
would be sort of nice.

Also, our book would NOT be the only way to get it on CD.  Just like
other distributions, someone else could make a "clone" of it if they
want.