gEDA-user: PCB Paneling toner transfer test

Just made a toner transfer to copper clad and it was a partial success. Next I need to check dimension accuracy with a different test pattern and panelization and commit to using one of the coarser line sizes like 8 mils or 10 mils and maybe later refine this further with photo paper from Staples and maybe a finer laser printer. Each change of laser printer gives different toner and a new learning curve though!

To make the layout patterns for my test I used DJ's pcb --action-script panelit suggestion, where file named "panelit" has pcb commands in it with no variables, just in line code to step and repeat layouts. My panel has nine.

http://shop.cottagematic.com/photos/first-etch-700x1150milsx9.jpg

The photo has some arrows and comments about trouble spots with the Laserjet 4Si artifacts, toner holes, toner missing and what not. lj4ps had
problem with the smallest 4 mil set of lines I gave it, so maybe I need a better printer to get better fine lined output. I definitely need better to get less holes in the toner. It seems like I can get decent 6 mil lines with some yield losses one 2 square inch boards due to toner holes. 3 x 5 inch boards would need bigger traces or low yield as this stands. My test has them all separated by the same space as traces are thick so I can see if shrink or bloat are going to be wanted to get accurate sizes after etching. I'll use more space between for a circuit board.

The transferring from photo paper to copper clad was done with a laminator roller machine that has a temperature controller, a push in roller, and a pull out roller and 2 inch wide top and bottom platen heaters between. I had it "good and hot" -- meaning I didn't put a thermometer to it yet... I wrapped a half inch of the photo printing paper over the edge of my board material, (1/0 FR-1 1.6mm thick), to avoid buckling as it and the fat FR-1 slid between the heaters and as the pull out roller grabbed them. The pull out roller after the heater seems to be the one with the higher pressure squeezing the layers together.

I ran a test with just a small pattern of toner on a transfer sheet first. Ran it in and through and it didn't stick. Cranked up temp. Repeated and it stuck more. Realized preheating the board was a good thing, and wrapped a second board in regular paper and ran through twice fast, then put transfer sheet with nine layouts on and ran it in and it stuck first pass. Smelled smoky in my little office after that...

The FR-1 was too hot to handle and still hot when I got to the sink, so I cooled the board side first with water then dunked it paper up. The paper separated from the edges first and was loose with a light touch after 30 -- 40 seconds. I had thought that was going to be harder. What's left is a kind of paper coating like glue.

Next, I put it in a pyrex dish with soapy water and swirled a natural bristle paint brush against it some, then scrubbed one end with powdered cleaner, (Bar Keeper's Friend), until some of my toner image details were coming off, whoops! Under a magnifier, that glue was hanging in there enough to cause etch resisting, so I got a sponge and more powdered cleaner and gave it an overall light scrub -- that seemed to work well. There was still some grey on some of the toner that I could not get to come off with more time in warm soapy water and paint brush action. You can see it in the scanner photo linked above.

John G

Peroxide HCl etching next