Re: gEDA-user: Re: Flame about XML

> I am not saying it is broke I am saying it lacks capabilities that I
> need (and by comments on why geda isn't used more in universities i
> suspect I am not alone). Now that isn't a reason to rewrite the code
> to support xml files. But the other expression is why re-invent the
> wheel.  If some file format or other does the job and has the
> parsers....

The effort here isn't in the file format, it's in teaching gEDA to
work with the information structure it's given.  For example, pcb has
two file formats it uses - boards, and menus.  We could easily use the
menu's format (we call that "the resource format") to hold board
information (it's heirarchical and expandable) but pcb still doesn't
know about anything other than what it's looking for.

What we need from you folks, the users, is a description of what
functionality you need and why, so that we can find the best way to
get there.  Telling us "you need XML" doesn't help, we can write a
converter to XML and "have XML" without solving your problem.