Re: gEDA-user: Gerbv-2.0.1 for Windows released, but not working!

Stuart Brorson wrote:
> gerbv is built on GTK which is built on XWindows, the unix windowing
> system.  The GTK port to MS Windows is ragged, and apparently has
> problems if you don't write your code in a specific way.

In what way is it ragged?  I'm only aware of 1 bug that is affecting us
and that is the 'artifacts when printing directly to the printer' one.

> The stuff which reads project files makes assumptions about the
> underlying file system, which differs between Linux and Windows.

That is not the problem.  The problem is the stuff which reads init.scm
has broken assumptions and it's almost luck that it works on any os
currently...  Those assumptions are not really OS or FS specific.

> Apps which run on both Linux and Windows usualy have lots of
> #ifdef/#else clauses to do this on Linux, and that on Windows.  We
> have only begun to do this work in gerbv.

I don't really agree with that.  We have very few of those in gerbv and
we need very few.  In fact, the fewer the better because it makes it
more likely that the code will continue to work on both.

> You're just stuck in hell because we have lots of Windows
> bugs, so lots of menu items don't work as they should.

I don't think that is a fair statement at all.  I am only aware of 2
bugs in the windows version that don't exist in the unix version.  Those
are:

tree.  This is actually not 100% unique to windows, it is not hard to
reproduce in linux.  If you ever do this:

./configure --prefix=/tmp/gerbv && make && make install
mv /tmp/gerbv /opt/gerbv

you'll have the same problem.  The only reason this showed up right away
under windows is that it is very common to do exactly that under windows
and less common on unix-like operating systems.  This is something I
fixed in PCB long ago so it was pretty easy to bring that code over to
gerbv.   Note that one way this might show up in unix-land is if you
build gerbv, install to a temp area and then just tar that up and put it
on a different machine.

- printing directly to a printer produces artifacts on circular pads and
diagonal traces.  I haven't fully investigated but the links that Peter
C. gave suggest this is a bug in cairo.

As far as I know that is it.  In fact, installing gerbv under windows is
as easy as the easiest linux and way easier than some, it is just a
single installer.  In fact it is *way* easier than installing gerbv on a
production linux machine I use where I can't freely reinstall updated
versions of piles of dependencies.  I ended up having to build
glib/gtk/cairo/.... all by hand to have a locally up to date version there.

There are speed issues on some systems, but there are speed issues under
unix-like os's too.  It seems to be more related to the exact graphics
hardware than the operating system.

-Dan