Re: gEDA-user: Gerbv-2.0.1 for Windows released, but not working!

>> gerbv is built on GTK which is built on XWindows, the unix windowing
>> system.  The GTK port to MS Windows is ragged, and apparently has
>> problems if you don't write your code in a specific way.
>
> In what way is it ragged?  I'm only aware of 1 bug that is affecting us
> and that is the 'artifacts when printing directly to the printer' one.

I speak from heresay only (since I don't run Windows), but we've seen
the following issues so far:

*  Can't load project files.

*  Slooooooooow on many machines.  We don't know why.  Several people
have seen this, and it's a killer problem.

*  Can't print.

I don't want to criticize your great efforts.  They're very welcome
and appreciated!  However, it's a fact that gerbv hasn't received as
much developer or user testing on Windows as on Linux, so I'd expect
that lots of strange bugs lurk in its features.  And that seems to be
borne out by Rick's experience.

[...]
> That is not the problem.  The problem is the stuff which reads init.scm
> has broken assumptions ....
[...]
> I don't really agree with that.
[...]
> I don't think that is a fair statement at all.
[...]

Whatever.  These are details.  I'll stand by my big-picture point:  We
don't have enough user experience with the Windows version to say
confidently that it is a fully-baked version.  The reports we have had
so far suggest that we have lots of bugs.  And please -- working
through this phase just a normal part of software development.  The
Windows version is new, and more or less untested, so it's normal that
it have lots of unforseen issues. Therefore, we need to work through
these teething problems.

Cheers,

Stuart