Re: compile problems

On 22.01.2004 23:20, Torinthiel wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:36:02PM +0100, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > >
> > > Autoconf itself doesn't But building and installing autoconf does.
> >
> > Building shouldn't, either. One of the nice things about the autotools
> > is that users _don't_ need them for building the package (unless they
> > are patching Makefiles or some such). They are developers' tools.
>
> You still don't get what I was trying to do. I was rebuilding
> libtool/auto* PACKAGE. Not crimson, not anything. The package, i.e.
> libtool.*.rpm

Well, I'd say you didn't get what I was trying to say ;-)
You don't need autotools for building release versions of packages
(./configure; make; make install). 'Users' for me also includes
people who build their own (RPM, deb, whatever) packages from the
tarballs, as opposed to developers who may build from CVS.

> > > 2. We have found out that it requires automake no grater then 1.7.9 and
> > > greater then 1.6.3. Maybe it would be good to dig into automake
> > > Changelogs to specify what version, but I think it should make it into
> > > crimson.spec.in
> >
> > No. When we have made sure it is automake that's causing the problems,
> > the place to put it is autogen.sh. That's the only place where automake
> > is required.
>
> Ok, but if you put a line like
> BuildRequires: automake >= 1.7.9
> in crimson.spec.in than anyone trying to build the package will be
> warned. Like it is now with SDL - see crimson.spec.in line 14.
> And it will not prevent anyone from installing the game from RPM package.

Right. But it will prevent everyone from building the package if they
don't have automake installed - which is wrong. You don't need automake
for simply building the package. You only need it for bootstrapping,
i.e. at autogen.sh time, which you only do when building a version from
CVS. It creates the Makefile.in files which are included in the release
tarballs.

Jens