Re: compile problems

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 06:25:43PM +0100, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> You don't need autotools for building release versions of packages
> (./configure; make; make install). 'Users' for me also includes
> people who build their own (RPM, deb, whatever) packages from the
> tarballs, as opposed to developers who may build from CVS.

Depends. I'm used to RPMs that are built from scratch. That includes
auto*. But true, everything is in the tarball. That's why when I deleted
every generated thing from libtool's sources it shrunk to 10% of
original size.

> Right. But it will prevent everyone from building the package if they
> don't have automake installed - which is wrong. You don't need automake
> for simply building the package. You only need it for bootstrapping,
> i.e. at autogen.sh time, which you only do when building a version from
> CVS. It creates the Makefile.in files which are included in the release
> tarballs.

Ok, your spec only calls configure. As I've said I'm used to ones that
call everything. I withdraw.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)wp(dot)pl