Re: gEDA-user: Split ground planes and zero ohm jumpers

On 4/7/2011 5:34 AM, Kovacs Levente wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 22:37:05 -0500
John Griessen<john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Yes, Levente's way of handling that after the fact is practical and
what I like to do, since then you keep all your DRC's working against
error, and have one more step to do after DRC complete.  Perhaps that
method could be scripted with a makefile?  Can commands from a script
make a layer invisible and not part of DRCs?  If so, then the
starpoint connecting copper could be on a special layer for that
purpose alone, and merged in by using visibility or not.
Yes. There is a patch which adds the ability to ignore DRC.

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Mar-2011/msg00096.html

Else merge it in with gerbv as RS274-X only.
I don't like this idea. You have to have control over connections at least at
PCB level. I'd have it in gschem level.

Levente

I have to say I am philosophically opposed to any feature that allows a design to pass DRC when the layout differs from the schematic. By allowing a connection on the PCB between two nets that are separate on the schematic, without warning, this can result in a disaster. I have seen expert PWB designers make a mistake that shorted two power planes that should not have been shorted because they were working manually, bypassing DRC.

If such a feature is used, the DRC should at least flag a warning that a feature is being used that is not being checked, including all the info you would otherwise get if it were flagged as an error.

I prefer to add a component to my designs that IS the short between two nets. I have a symbol in my library that has pads for jumper pins on 0.1" centers along with a connection between the pads. The schematic symbol shows that connection which is different from jumper pins that are by default open. This footprint can include the short between the pads on any layer, but it is not so sophisticated that it can be on an inner layer only. That would be ideal.

Rick