Re: gEDA-user: Attribute Net (without pin assignment) - for Powerand Port Symbols

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 23:46 +0200, Wojciech Kazubski wrote:

> First, allow symbols to contain net segments, now this is forbidden in symbol creation guide.
> Replace pins in power/gnd symbols with net segments, this segment can have label (and should have to be usefull).
> If circuit parser encounters net segment inside symbol, it adds it to the net as any other net segment and sets a net name.
> Any nets having the same name are assumed connected together (as is now).
> This idea should work also for subcircuit ports and inter-scheet connections.

The idea is sound, but the problem is that the user cannot currently
override such attributes from the schematic. The case we're mostly
talking about here is the generic power symbols which the user modifies
a net=???:1 attribute to assign a name.

Just to touch a personal note with those asking for removal of the :1
suffix on the net=... attributes. I usually make a separate visible
label attribute and hide the net= attribute.

This seemed like a nice idea.. until the day I ended up with a bunch of
boards to rework due to having edited the visible label= and not the
net= attribute! So yes.. I can see a need for the feature ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,