Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 22:25 +0200, Jonatan Åkerlind wrote:
> On tor, 2007-08-09 at 19:48 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > If you want it, I can code it at some point. I already broke that
> > function once recently, so am familiar with where the code is. I also
> > wondered what the desired behaviour should be.
> >
> > What do other combinations do...
> >
> > >From bottom left -> top right?
> > >From top right -> bottom left?
> >
> > Is it just the left->right'edness which determines the action?
> >
> > Anyone _against_ this change?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter Clifton
>
> Also coming from an AutoCAD environment this is something that I like.
> IIRC it was actually top left -> bottom right that selected all
> completely within the box and bottom right -> top left that selected all
> elements that had at least one point within the box.
>
> Anyway I would really like this behaviour.

If you're feeling keen, you could try the patch here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-gaf/pcjc2.git

(Specifically:

http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-gaf/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff;h=9390040771f782987d9dd5278a81459d22d5d2ec;hp=19b6b06461a906399126803d4c46a5a42d1cc784

)

Thanks to a google search for the rectangle intersection logic:

http://www.tekpool.com/?p=23

Then "simplified" / obfuscated a bit using DeMorgan's theorem by me.
Trying to think the resulting expression through hurts my brain.

I've added an exception to the logic, that is - the right-left select
WILL NOT select locked objects, otherwise your title-block will get
selected with every right-left select.

I await feedback from the other developers before committing this change
to the git master repository, as changing a core user interface
behaviour like this could be controversial.

Regards,

Peter Clifton