Re: gEDA-user: Halp! PCB crashing on my design

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:45:04PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/dsPICfun2/dsPICfun2.pcb.tgz
>
> I've reproduced this, it's the usual b->contours bug.

It is crashing because the polygon dicer is trying to cut a polygon
through its first hole, so it constructs a rectangle which has its left
edge as the left edge of the polygon and its right edge passing through
the middle of the first hole.  The problem is that the center of the
first hole is *outside* the bounds of the polygon, which should not be
possible!

It's caused by this polygon in particular:

        Polygon("clearpoly")
        (
                [262500 280000] [2500 280000] [2500 2500] [262500 2500]
        )

...and indeed if I remove that one it opens fine.  It's caused by the
cluster of vias near C109.  If you draw a small poly on the solder side
just over that "southern cross" of vias you can see it clears badly.

The problem line appears to be the "C" shaped trace on the solder layer.
If you delete it and redraw it (at least the way I happend to redraw it)
you can have the polygon....

Aha!  The longest 45 degree line in that trace is actually two co-linear
lines.  It's not supposed to be possible to create them, and I've known
it to cause trouble with the polygon code before.  You can easily see it
if you use the move tool on it.  If you move them out of a straight line,
or get rid of the vertex, or just totally redraw it, everything works.

I'd be curious to know how you drew that line, if you recall :)  If you
have a lot of cvs revisions I'd also like to know if it got split at
some point along the way after the initial drawing.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>