Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

Paul Tan wrote:

That is the problem, "whenever you have multiple
symbols with the same refdes", as I suspected
and mentioned in my previous post.

.
.
.
The final PCB netlist wants to see "PACKAGE_refdes"
instead of "LOGICAL_SYBOL_refdes". So one of the
solution is (as I stated before and explain
here):

1) Assign unique "refdes" value to all netlistable
   logical symbols in the schematic. If the
   logical symbol is one of several in a
   "PHYSICAL_package", then assgined "refdes"
   to each logical symbol such as "Uxx_yy";
   where yy is the value to identify
   a particular "LOGICAL_SYMBOL" among several
   within a "PCB_PACKAGE"; and xx value is the
   ID to differentiate among all "PCB_PACKAGE"
   for your design. Uxx is what you want to
   see in your PCB netlist.

This is a good way to think how to implement busses.

A way to be backwards compatible might be to take any refdes
with that form and create an old style short one and another attrib
for the unique PCB_PACKAGE identifier.  Existing libraries could be processed
to change them that way also.

John Griessen