Re: gEDA-user: Wireless comms options

   If you go analog you can also send digital data through the Audio
   channel (low bandwidth, just for commands, or telemetry depending on
   direction of communication)

   Regards, Felipe.

   On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Chris Smith <[1]cjs94@xxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   On 08/08/2011 15:50, John Griessen wrote:
   > On 08/08/11 06:21, Chris Smith wrote:
   >> I'm guessing that composite will be easier to work with?
   >
   > Depends on the video sender products you find.  If there's one for
   analog,
   > that's problem solved.  Do you have plenty of power at both ends?

     I think so, yes.  The transmitter will be run off a car/bike battery
     and
     the receiver most likely off a set of lithium cells.

   >> Google shows that there are plenty of video sender products out
   there,
   >> most of which seem to operate at 1.7-1.9GHz or 2.4GHz.
   >
   > Analog or data?  With the compression you said was available, data
   might
   > use less power and be cheaper modules...  You haven't said much about
   > the compression.
   > Does H.264 completely define it?  Are there modes of operation all
   > called H.264?

     Given the requirements I've decided to go analog and simply transmit
     the
     composite signal.  Using digital compression would needlessly
     complicate
     the receiver, which is really just a dumb display.
     The consumer products I've seen do just that: take a
     composite/component
     signal, transmit it over the air and turn it back into
     composite/component.  Transmitter and receiver are usually paired
     using
     channel selection.

   Chris
   --