Re: gEDA-user: Footprint with Unusual Pads

John Griessen wrote:

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Plus, m4 isn't readily available on Windows platforms, so moving to
newlib makes Windows support easier.

Another reason to have the developers run the M4 processor, and not
the users.

Since it's GPL, we have to delete the use of M4 entirely to delete it in a user's source build process.

That is simply not true. The suggestion was to only run m4 when you configure with --enable-maintainer-mode. So clearly all the required sources are there and available. Here is another example, the user build process does not use autoconf but rather the output (configure) but we do provide the source (configure.ac).

My thoughts were either the user build always runs the m4 stuff (not unreasonable, if you don't have m4, then chances are you don't have the other tools like /bin/sh and make and a c-compiler) or to include the m4 output so that the build rules don't get triggered unless the user touches the m4 input files. I like this much better than the maintainer mode stuff anyway. We get way too many complaints as it is from users who build from cvs but who don't read README.cvs to see you should disable building the docs or build in maintainer mode. I don't want to add to that mess.

-Dan