Re: gEDA-user: Gerbv with OpenGL

Bert Timmerman wrote:

> It would be to rough for eye-candy, and good enough for checking whether
> stuff on a pcb fits in a casing of some sort.

Just the rough look would be high value in planning and avoiding mistakes...

Importing a rough looking model into a blender scene being used to design a box,
wiring or flat flex cable routes, etc. would be a boon.

>>> So, how fast could you hook pcb to blender?  (Just kidding, sort of...)
>> I've not used blender.. doing this properly as a 3D model is going to be
>> a lot more work than a quick trick to use OpenGL for rendering the image
>> of the board.
>>

> Now that would be an exporter for pcb ;-)
>
> And a heck of a dependency for the average user.

But, more realistically, it could be a pcb exporter plugin!  :-)
Blender has python scripting...it's not so outrageous to think of
a pcb plugin that would export courtyard shapes in a group, so you use them
with Blender and the CAD scripts for setting metric or english grids
and measuring distances  in the 3d scene...

I just like to start rumor-like ideas percolating, not that me or anyone else will
find time to execute any of it tomorrow...  :-)

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX