Re: gEDA-user: updating your OS, was: Re: Export gerber crash

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 18:50 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> 	System Administratiion updates manager (first install updates then
> upgrad) New distribution 7.10 is available "UPGRADE BUTTON" click and
> eventually ...
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
> 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
>
> So I can not update to Gutsy.  Regards Ian.

It seems your /etc/apt/sources.list (or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/???) has
some old sources in it.

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/ doesn't exist any more, so upgrades from
it wouldn't work in Feisty anyway. Its moved at least once before, sorry
I didn't spot this in the last post -rather than noticing the typo!.

I have:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list:

## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.10 "gutsy gibbon"
## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
#deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free

I followed the steps at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

What do you have from:
grep medibuntu /etc/apt/sources.list

If it lists medibuntu stuff, then remove / comment it:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

And remove / comment out "with the # character" those lines.

If not, you might find it under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
grep medibuntu /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

If its medibuntu alone in a file under there, delete the whole file. If
its in with other things, just remove / comment the medibuntu bits.

Then follow the instructions at the above website to get the gutsy
repository:
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

And add the GPG key:
wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update