Re: gEDA-user: updating your OS, was: Re: Export gerber crash

On Fri, 2007-07-12 at 00:00 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 18:50 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> > 	System Administratiion updates manager (first install updates then
> > upgrad) New distribution 7.10 is available "UPGRADE BUTTON" click and
> > eventually ...
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
> > 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch
> > http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
> >
> > So I can not update to Gutsy.  Regards Ian.
>
> It seems your /etc/apt/sources.list (or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/???) has
> some old sources in it.
>
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/ doesn't exist any more, so upgrades from
> it wouldn't work in Feisty anyway. Its moved at least once before, sorry
> I didn't spot this in the last post -rather than noticing the typo!.
>
> I have:
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list:
I have /etc/apt/sources.list.d << empty

> ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.10 "gutsy gibbon"
> ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
> #deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
>
> I followed the steps at:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
I was trying to follow the steps at
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
but will try what you are suggesting

> What do you have from:
> grep medibuntu /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> If it lists medibuntu stuff, then remove / comment it:
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> And remove / comment out "with the # character" those lines.
DONE
#deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
#deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

> If not, you might find it under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
> grep medibuntu /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
 No such file or directory so okay there

> If its medibuntu alone in a file under there, delete the whole file. If
> its in with other things, just remove / comment the medibuntu bits.
>
> Then follow the instructions at the above website to get the gutsy
> repository:
I"ve figured it out, the following came from the above website.
> sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
>
> And add the GPG key:
> wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

The above two seem to work okay.

> After this, try the upgrade again.
Oh no. support for gnome cups manager has ended.  I'll sort out the
printer if necessary.  Other than that and a few not supported libs that
I do not understand it seems to be okay.  Upgrades available but not all
can be installed due to previous upgrade incomplete.  Can upgrades and
figure it out after maybe a restart?

	Send e-mail and reboot.  Many thanks Peter.
Joke, now try explaining bookmarks and tabbed browsing to my wife,
better not she is happy as she is.