Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

think of tables of tables,

i have a resistor table that has all of my companies resistors,  hell
even the reel number for the pick and place machine i am using,  and
my schematic page is linked to a table  it reads that table and sees
that you have resistor known as abc123  it points to the resistor
table and lets you know everything about that resistor.   now think of
this, resistor ABC123 is made in tiwan, and say the container with the
parts was held in customs,  I need 10 million parts YESTERDAY,  in
that database of resistors, it had a list of resistors from local
manufactures that allowed my team to easily find a second and third
source for that resistor. till the crate cleared customs.

see http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question599.htm  or wikipedia
about relational databases

i like the idea of using a SQL database as the backend,  allowing it
to use SQL lite means that it is easy to setup, simple database on the
system
allowing the use of MySQL ( a beast )  allows us to have many 100+
users on the system,  all using the same database.   my fab house can
even get tied in and have up to date information about expected parts
needed.  so that they can pre order if needed.

lots of high level stuff could be done by having it interface to a database.

I know we use SAP to do a lot of this type of stuff, but it is largly
driven by humans to get the data in the right places from the design.

Steve