Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

On Dec 8, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 08:52 +0900, John Doty wrote:
>> Right now, the mechanics of browsing the libraries for a graphic,
>> copying that to your project library, rescanning symbols to make it
>> visible (arrrggh!), and then finally picking and placing it and going
>> down into it to fix it up are clumsy. But if you don't do that, you
>> may be in trouble down the road when you need to change a footprint
>> or something. Or when somebody "fixes" a common library symbol in the
>> next release.
>
> Sounds like a royal pain. File a feature-request (or email here)
> how you
> want it to work, so any future work on the library system can refer to
> it. I can't immediately see how to implement it in a "gEDA" way
> (e.g. to
> retain flexibility about where that symbol might be copied to for your
> project).
>
> I do appreciate that a per-project symbol store is the way to go for
> designs like you're making here, and that it would be nice to provide
> some short-cut way to working with that flow.

How about the following in gafrc:

(project-symbol-directory "path")

Automatically copy any symbol referenced to there. *That's* where you
"embed" symbols (not in some random schematic file, where they do not
belong). Give any symbol found there silent, unconditional priority
over library symbols, so the user need not deal with duplicate symbol
warnings, version mismatches, etc.

Put this directory first in the symbol chooser, ahead of all libraries.

Then "Hs" goes into your project's symbol: you can customize as needed.

For extra credit, have "Hu" notice if you've saved the symbol under a
new filename, changing the reference as needed. And also have an edit
command to change a symbol's reference directly.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx