Re: gEDA-user: Examples for clever use of attributes?

On Dec 17, 2007 3:52 PM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Luciani wrote:
> > On Dec 17, 2007 12:36 PM, John Griessen   wrote:
>
> >> are you thinking of sets of names to be a part language?
> >>
> >> Like:
> >>
> >> C_10uf_10V_Z5U_0805
> >
> > I was thinking of . . . For example a 330pf 1% 50V X7R ceramic cap in an 0805 package could be
> > CAP_X7R-331U-50V-102T-0805P
>
> I like those kinds of names.  Suppose you have a database filled
> with names where brief codes stand for categories, what would it take to
> have the brief codes redefinable, and translatable?

It shouldn't be difficult but unless there is a large database of parts that
you can import it may not be cost effective.

For resistors, capacitors and inductors I would populate the database using
Digikey tables. They are not difficult to parse and you would immediately have
all of your passives. I have not looked at the Digikey logic IC tables
but they not be
too difficult. Using the Digikey tables lets you populate a vendor
price table as well.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org