gEDA-user: Re: google checkout buttons to implement SW development bounties

John Griessen wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> al davis wrote:
>
>> An advantage of electronic payments is that they can be done
>> internationally with little fuss by credit card.
>>
>>> I can't see paying just anyone who comes along for enhancements to an
>>> active project.
>>
>> Well, that's up to the client to decide, isn't it?
>
> This is the point in the negotiations where splitting a job up into a
> couple or several smaller chunks might make it go, instead of stalling
> at the "Why should I trust you to deliver/Why should I trust you to
> pay?"  stage.  Creating the google checkout buttons or invoices to suit
> negotiations is easy for the seller/developer.

Sure. The bounties should be for tasks that are small enough that
they naturally fit this criteria. Larger tasks (i.e. tasks that have
value in the thousands of dollars) are too big for this sort of
system and are more suited to conventional contracts.

> There are so many scammers who will sound so solid on the phone until
> you ask them to do something...like send a payment...  I would make it
> part of my terms that a small amount of money moves and a small amount
> of work gets done, then larger and larger til done...  Even if it all is
> in the "expensable petty cash" range of money for a bounty setting
> business.

If you are talking about large enough sums that you feel the need
to have signed contracts, then your on the path to a more conventional
agreement. That said, anonymous clients should not be allowed (log in
required) and a history of bad behavior should be somehow made visible.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,