Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for gerbv

Dan McMahill wrote:
> John Griessen wrote:
>
>> I'm planning on redoing my silk outlines that are compact like that, and
>> make courtyard boxes instead, because robots placing parts is a wonderful thing.
>
> but if they are your silk outlines, can't you directly produce an xy
> file instead of trying to guess at it later?
>
> It seems the original goal was to deal with output from xy challenged
> cad tools.

yeah, that's right.  And if some output has no courtyard, you can't use that for an
algorithm to "see" footprints...   Hmm...

Another way to "see" a footprint in gerber  data is by the combination of
top copper and top soldermask or solderpaste.

A pad that has top copper exiting one way is related to the near pad in the other direction.

Sounds like a much more difficult algorithm to code, but exactly what we humans do when seeing
a top copper layer.

Dan McMahill wrote:
==========
"So
for any symmetric part, I can actually say with some confidence that the
center will be correct in pcb's output. "
============

One good place for a GUI for updating XY PnP pick and place files would be a pcb plugin.

If we made gerbv output pcb data, we could make a workflow of gerbv then pcb to tweak the XY file.

gerbv is supposedly close to having library capability --  so you could call it from another program,
so that could be a way to have a pcb plugin that pulls in data from gerber format, then
you tweak it in a GUI.

Stuart Brorson wrote:
"do a 2D autocorrelation of the target pattern on
the unknown image (i.e. the Gerber image). "
=====

This could be a real speed up tool!  Thanks for the idea!

John
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX