Re: gEDA-user: why separate xgsch2pcb?

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 18:40 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > "Make" is the tool.
>
> Not for a GUI, it isn't. Seriously. Right concept, bad integration.

There are not enough decent hooks in make to integrate it with a GUI*.
It is fine if things _work_, otherwise you would have to litter your
makefile with commands to prod back status to the GUI tool.

*(And if there are.. my search-fu is failing me.. try "make gui" or "gui
for make" in Google, and see the frustration. "make" as a program name
is about as useful as "PCB" in this regard!)

Perhaps I take this back... Anjuta seems to do a decent job of
second-guessing what make and autotools are up-to from within a GUI.
This is probably in part due to the predictability of autotools
generated Makefiles.

It seems to have some smarts to figure out which command line
invocations are compiling what file - so it displays more intelligible
output for these commands, rather than the whole GCC command line.